Friday, July 1, 2016

Dropping Some Acid Stain

Update time! Things are really starting to pick up. Getting the first course of blocks down was pretty time consuming, mostly because I had to get everything placed just so. Of course I also had regular assistance from the rain fairy.


Once the first course was set, the second went in really fast. And here we are!



The next course will be above grade. I really hate gray and I really hate the look of bare concrete, so I wanted something nicer than plain concrete blocks. My initial plan was to use colored split faced blocks. However one of the drawbacks to living this far out is that getting large heavy things delivered can be quite costly. I did find one place that would sell in smaller quantities, but while considering the price of the blocks and delivery I looked into some alternatives.

One thing I kept coming across was acid stained concrete. Usually this is done to floors and the results can be stunning. I could not find any examples of it being done to blocks, however, so I decided it was time to experiment.

I got sample sizes of some Vivid brand acid stain from Amazon. First I did some sample swatches on a couple different block types. From left to right they are Mission Brown, Weathered Terracotta, Amber, Caramel, and Jade.

Vivid Acid Stain

Then I used a stain pad to apply the stain in a mottled pattern.

Staining Concrete Blocks

After four four hours I hose the blocks off and give them a light scrub with a wire bush.

Cinder Block Stain

Here they are after they dry. I will most likely apply a sealant that gives them a permanent wet look. Because reasons. 

Concrete block stain

Here they are dry stacked to give me an idea how they will look once they are installed. The blotchiness is because they got wet overnight and are still drying off.

Personally, I think this is much better looking than the split faced blocks. Besides, I've started noticing how common split face is in cheap crappy retail buildings. The local Walmart, Burger King, and Taco Bell: all built out of split face.

Yeah, my blocks are way better.



So now I have three gallons of acid stain being shipped my way. They won't be here until Wednesday, so I'll have to find something else to do this weekend. Until then, have some chicken photos.

Olive Egger Rooster

Welsummer Hen

Maran Rooster

9 comments:

  1. This is an excellent article. Found it in the search for my new project of a garden planter I want to do with cinder blocks. And you offer a great idea to the plain grey color. You have inspired me to do something diferent. They look amazing. Love the chicken photos!!!! Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have more pictures of how your concrete stained wall looked after finishing? I love this idea and was thinking of doing something similar for my backyard, but haven't seen anyone do something quite like what I have been thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love this! Especially the names of the stains and how you did it. Can you show us the final result too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL. We want to build a flat patio off of a slightly raised patio. All of the options were looking pretty pricey which translates to a "no go" for us. What you have done could easily transform to make a great short wall around the patio and even a fire pit. You've kept our patio addition wish alive. Thank you!!!! ---- from, your average human

    ReplyDelete
  5. What was your final color? Or did you include all of them and apply with a sponge in layers or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need results pic!! thanks for the info...didn't even think about this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the stain colors, they end up looking like rusted steel. Excellent choice and it makes me want to do a project with cinder blocks and using this stain is a must! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you do this on an inside wall or is it crazy toxic?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi do you have the finished project photos?? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete